Restaurants participating must follow the first five criteria:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining, and disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request.
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
- Straws are provided only upon request.
And choose a minimum of two of these criteria:
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis
- All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances, are in place.
Restaurants who meet all of the criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant.
Interested in becoming a Surfrider Ocean Friendly Restaurant Member?
Researchers estimate there are now over 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic in the ocean with the number continuing to grow every day.
- An estimated 100 billion plastic bags are used ANNUALLY in the United States.
- An estimated 500 million straws are used DAILY in the United States.
- 49.4 billion plastic water bottles were sold in one year’s time with only 31.1% recycled, leaving roughly 34 billion plastic bottles that were littered or went into a landfill in 2015.
- Restaurants use an average of 5,800 gallons of water per day
- Plastic does not biodegrade so virtually every piece of plastic ever created still exists in some form today!
The Ocean Friendly Restaurants program offers restaurants an easy way to show their commitment to making sustainable choices for our ocean. Interested in becoming a Surfrider Ocean Friendly Restaurant Member?
Do you own, manage or can you recommend a restaurant that you would like to register as an Ocean Friendly Restaurant? Join us as an Ocean Friendly Restaurant member by joining here.
The Ocean Friendly Restaurant membership fee is based on a sliding scale ranging from $125 to $175 for local businesses based on the number of employees at the restaurant.
And you'll receive these incredible member benefits:
- Ocean Friendly Restaurant marketing collateral including window stickers, brochures, table-tops, and bill inserts to show your membership to your customers.
- Use of Ocean Friendly Restaurant logos for restaurant menu, website and other restaurant marketing materials.
- Restaurant listed on Surfrider National and Chapter websites.
- Restaurant included in Ocean Friendly Restaurants national map on Surfrider National and Chapter websites.
- Launch parties and collaborative promotions with your nearest Surfrider chapter.
- Surfrider social media marketing promotions.
- Access to national vendor discounts on sustainable restaurant and to-go products.
- Tax-deductible contribution.
- Association with a nationally recognized nonprofit with thousands of members and supporters working hard to keep our ocean healthy and protected!
As a member of the Surfrider Foundation, your Ocean Friendly Restaurant demonstrates to your customers and your community your commitment to our environement and ocean.
Want to learn more about the Ocean Friendly Program? Click Here
The Surfrider Foundation acknowledges that we cannot claim that all listed Ocean Friendly Restaurants are 100% in compliance with our standards at all times, but that the Surfrider Foundation strives to diligently review compliance on a regular basis. If an Ocean Friendly Restaurant is found to be out of compliance, they are removed from the website as quickly as possible. Such a restaurant will not be reinstated on the list of Ocean Friendly Restaurants, until the compliance issue is remedied.
Coral Reef Yacht Club-http://www.coralreefyachtclub.org/
Pinecrest Gardens Cafe-https://www.pinecrestgardens.org/